Okyanos Center for Regenerative Medicine
A quote includes a treatment plan and price estimate.
A message from MEDIGO: Stem cell therapies are still experimental, meaning the clinical development process and regulatory milestones are still in progress. Treatments can be currently offered by our providers as a healing attempt or as part of a clinical trial.
The Okyanos Center for Regenerative Medicine is a state-of-the-art facility that provides patients with the most advanced and safe medical treatments in regenerative medicine. The Okyanos Center has developed stem cell therapy protocols firmly established in scientific research and clinical trials. The Bahamas-based center of excellence offers highly individualized adult stem cell treatments for patients with chronic health conditions.
The stem cell therapies at Okyanos focus on isolating patients’ own fat-derived, SVF stem cells for same-day processing and outpatient treatment. Okyanos’ expert team includes renowned stem cell researchers and board certified orthopedists, surgeons, cardiologists and licensed MDs. An on-site clinical staff of highly trained and experienced nurses and technicians oversee the safe and precise delivery of regenerative therapies.
The Okyanos facility is fitted with a Class C operating theatre, a Philips bi-plane cardiac catheterization lab with advanced imaging systems and offers leading technologies for enzyme-derived cell processing. At Okyanos, patients and caregivers enjoy the comfort of spacious hotel-style patient recovery suites, each with a private bathroom, television, nurse call system and complimentary WiFi.
A dedicated Okyanos Patient Concierge greets each patient at Grand Bahama International Airport and is available to assist with local activities, dinner reservations and other patient requests. Private transportation and an activated iPhone for local use are complimentary for international patients from their arrival on the island until their departure home. Patients have 24 hours access to physicians and wellness checks for up to 30 days after treatment.
Just 10 minutes by car from Grand Bahama International Airport (FPO), Okyanos is located in downtown Freeport on peaceful Grand Bahama Island. Along with Its tranquil beaches and crystal blue waters, the island features an all-inclusive resort and golf course as well as duty-free shopping and live music at the Port Lucaya Marketplace.
Grand Bahama is an ideal locale for stem cell treatments due to the Bahamian government’s strong focus on safety and its commitment to the acceleration of regenerative medicine for patients. The Ministry of Health’s National Stem Cell Ethics Committee allows, and regulates, the use of patients’ own stem cells in the treatment of certain chronic conditions. Okyanos was the first cell therapy center in the country to receive Bahamian government approval and began treating patients in 2014.
Freeport is accessible via Miami International Airport (MIA) and Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL), which has multiple daily (under 30-minute) flights to Freeport. A number of US and Canadian cities also offer seasonal direct flights.
40 procedures in Regenerative Medicine
>Regenerative Medicine(40 procedures)
Stem Cell Therapy+ More
Stem cells are cells naturally occurring in the body, their role is to create new cells. Stem cells reproduce a completely new and normal cell to replace damaged cells and tissues. Stem cell therapy utilizes this in the treatment of various diseases and injuries which cannot be treated by via traditional methods.
2 - 6 weeks
If travelling abroad for this procedure, patients usually need to stay for between 4 and 16 appointments.
Stem Cell Treatment+ More
Stem Cell Treatment for Alzheimer’s Disease+ More
More about available treatments at Okyanos Center for Regenerative Medicine
Treatments at Okyanos utilize gentle, water-assisted liposuction to extract patients’ own fat tissue and use an enzyme-derived cell processing system that yields a higher concentration of regenerative cells. These SVF cells have been seen to produce functional improvements and an increased quality of life in patients due to their many properties, including the ability to increase blood flow, to repair damaged tissue, and to reduce inflammation.
Okyanos specializes in stem cell treatments for orthopedics, certain neurologic disorders, cardiovascular diseases, urologic issues for skin and joint-related autoimmune disorders, as well as other select medical conditions, such as for patients with COPD or chronic wounds.
Every member of the medical team at Okyanos is highly trained and experienced. Cell therapy experts work alongside licensed doctors, cardiologists, and other medical professionals to work towards the best possible outcomes for every patient.
Dr. Vincent Burton, MBBS, FRCA
- President & Chief Anesthesiologist
- Attained a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery degree (MBBS) from the University of the West Indies
- Completed residency training in the UK at Queen’s Hospital of Staffordshire, Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, and Addenbrooke’s Hospital (Cambridge University)
- Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists (FRCA)
Dr. Marc Penn, MD, PhD, FACC
- Director of Research & Development
- Completed a PhD in Biomedical Engineering in 1989 and Doctor of Medicine in 1994 at Case Western Reserve University
- Board-certified in internal medicine and cardiovascular medicine
- Awarded the 2000 Joseph Cash Memorial Prize for Clinical Outcomes Research
- Served in numerous cardiology positions with the Cleveland Clinic (2000-11), including as Founding Director of the Center for Cardiovascular Cell Therapy
- Practicing cardiologist and Director of the Cardiovascular Medicine Fellowship at the Summa Health Heart and Vascular Institute in Akron, OH
- Is Professor of Medicine and Integrative Medical Sciences at Northeast Ohio Medical University
- Recognized as one of the Top 50 Doctors in the History of the Cleveland Clinic
Gretchen Dezelick, RN, BSN, CNOR, LHCRM, CASC
- Clinical Administrator and Director of Nursing
- Oversees the care of all patients at Okyanos
- 35+ years of nursing experience
- Was a Certified Critical Care Nurse (CCRN) for 20+ years and has been a Certified Peri-Operative Nurse (CNOR) for 7+ years
- Obtained Licensed Healthcare Risk Manager (LHCRM) credentials in the state of Florida in 2009
- Professional member of the American Association of Critical Care Nurses, the Association of Peri-Operative Registered Nurses, and the Association for Professionals in Infection Control, among others
Dr. Bart Rademaker, MD
- Cell Therapy Surgeon
- Board-certified in both plastic and reconstructive surgery
- Attended Erasmus University of Rotterdam Medical School and completed his general surgery residency at Providence Hospital in Michigan
- Completed a two-year plastic and reconstructive surgery residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin and was fellowship-trained at the Mayo Clinic
- Previously served as Chief of Plastic Surgery at three separate Florida hospitals
- Serves as Founder and Chief Medical Officer at the Tampa-based Beauty Integrity Center
Dr. Michael Price, MD
- Cell Therapy Surgeon and Orthopedic Specialist
- Board-certified in orthopedic surgery and regenerative medicine
- Former Chief of Surgery at Coffee Medical Center, Georgia, USA
- Diplomat of the American Academy and Board of Regenerative Medicine
- Fellow of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery and a member of the American Academy of Aesthetic Medicine
- Received a formal commendation in 2005 from the Veterans Administration Hospital System for assisting the government in the oversight of medical treatment for wounded soldiers
Dr. Philip Schoettle, MD, PhD
- Orthopedic Specialist at Okyanos
- Senior Medical Director of the Knee and Hip Institute Munich
- Sought-after instructor and speaker at medical and regenerative medicine conferences
- Written more than 60 peer-reviewed articles and served as the contributing author on 10 books
- Earned his medical degree from the University of Munich in 1998 and underwent training at the University of Paris, the University of Zurich, and the Center of Musculoskeletal Surgery at Charité
- Board member of the Society for Arthroscopy and Joint Surgery (AGA), the European Society of Sports Traumatology Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA), and the International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS), among others
I went to get treamtment for AVN which I had in both my hips. Everything went smoothly and I was well taken care of. I went to get treamtment for AVN which I had in both my hips. Everything went smoothly and I was well taken care of.Sherbanu Tanzania Stem Cell Treatment for Hip Necrosis
Verified Review This review was provided by a patient that booked using the MEDIGO platform. It was submitted through our internal review system and is 100% genuine
The staff at Okyanos were very competent and very professional. I had a successful procedure done to treat my AVN. The clinic and their staff are of a high standard. They were helpful with everything including transport, accommodation and a small issue I had with immigration. They were available to reach by phone pretty much any time of day and were very helpful.
The staff at Okyanos were very competent and very professional. I had a successful procedure done to treat my AVN. The clinic and their staff are of a high standard. They were helpful with everything including transport, accommodation and a small issue I had with immigration. They were available to reach by phone pretty much any time of day and were very helpful.Sherbanu , Tanzania Stem Cell Treatment for Hip Necrosis