BLK Super Specialty Hospital
New Delhi, India
New Delhi, India
BLK Super Specialty Hospital is a multispecialty hospital that was founded in 1959 and has become one of Delhi’s largest private hospitals.
As a multispecialty hospital, BLK Super Specialty Hospital has over 15 medical departments that include neurology, neurosurgery, urology, general surgery, orthopedics, gynecology, and cardiology amongst others. The hospital is fitted 650 patient beds, 125 critical care beds, and 17 operating theaters.
The hospital is popular among international patients and has a dedicated international patient coordinator team. Services provided by the team include interpreter services, medical record translation, visa assistance, assistance with booking flights and hotels, and airport transfer.
BLK Super Specialty Hospital is located 6 km from Connaught Place, which is the centre of New Delhi, and 11 km from Safdarjung Airport. The hospital is easily accessible by public transportation, with the nearest metro stop Rajendra Place just 230 m away.
New Delhi is the capital of India and has plenty to offer in terms cultural and historical attractions. The Red Fort, which was the home to India's Mughal Emperors for almost 200 years and now features a number of museums, can be reached within 7 km from the hospital.
The India Gate and The National Zoological Park, home to over 1,350 animals including white tigers and jaguars, is located 10 km from the hospital.
Joint Commission International
394 procedures across 28 specialties
A cholecystectomy is a surgical procedure that is performed to remove the gallbladder. The gallbladder is an organ located below the liver, which serves the function of collecting and storing bile, which is the fluid produced by the liver, before breaking it down and releasing it into the small intestine.
1 - 2 weeks
Some patients will have dissolvable stitches, whereas others return after 7 days to have them removed. Patients who have open surgery will need a longer recovery time.
- Learn more about Cholecystectomy
A colonoscopy is an examination of the large intestine, the colon and rectum, using a small camera.
3 - 4 days
Patients should arrive at least 2 days before the colonoscopy, as the bowel needs to be cleared the day before the procedure. Patients who have interventional treatment during the colonoscopy, e.g. removal of a polyp, may need slightly longer to recover.
- Learn more about Colonoscopy
See 1 type of Colonoscopy procedures:
>General Surgery(8 procedures)
An appendectomy is a surgical procedure performed to remove the appendix. The appendix is located where the small and large intestine meet and its function is not known. The appendix is usually removed as an emergency procedure when the patient has appendicitis, which is the inflammation of the appendix.
- Learn more about Appendectomy
Diagnostic Laparoscopy+ More
Hernia Repair+ More
Hernia repair is a surgical procedure performed to repair a hernia, which occurs when tissues or organs protrude through the wall in which they are contained. There are different types of hernias that can occur and these include inguinal hernia, hiatal hernia, and umbilical hernia.
1 - 2 weeks
After abdominal surgery, patients should get approval from their surgeon before flying. Traveling too soon after abdominal surgery could result in tearing the sutures. Patients may also find it uncomfortable to carry luggage or sit for long periods.
- Learn more about Hernia Repair
See 1 type of Hernia Repair procedures:
Inguinal Hernia Surgery
>Hair Restoration(3 procedures)
Beard Transplant+ More
A beard transplant is a surgical procedure performed to transplant hair from one part of the body to the face. In some men, facial hair may grow sparsely or there may be areas of patchiness. The procedure is performed on patients seeking a fuller and thicker beard.
- Learn more about Beard Transplant
Eyebrow Hair Transplant+ More
Hair Transplant+ More
A hair transplant is a surgical procedure which transplants hair from one area of the body to another. Hair transplantation is sought after by patients who are looking for a permanent, natural-looking solution to partial baldness.
Patients can usually fly afterwards, however the procedure may require several sessions.
- Learn more about Hair Transplant
See 1 type of Hair Transplant procedures:
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
>Bariatric Surgery(5 procedures)
Gastric Balloon Treatment+ More
Gastric ballon treatment involves inserting a deflated ballon into the stomach and then inflating it, in order to help lose weight. The balloon serves the purpose of limiting food intake by taking up space in the stomach and thus creating a sense of fullness after eating small amounts of food.
1 - 5 days
Patients may experience some pain, nausea or discomfort in the first days after insertion, therefore may need to rest before traveling.
- Learn more about Gastric Balloon Treatment
Gastric Band Surgery+ More
Gastric band surgery is a weight-loss surgery which uses an inflatable silicone band to create a small gastric pouch in the stomach, slowing down food consumption and limiting food intake. The surgery is performed to help patients with weight-loss after non-surgical methods such as change of diet and regular exercise, have failed to produce results.
The doctor should ensure that the patients condition is stable enough to travel.
- Learn more about Gastric Band Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery+ More
Gastric bypass surgery is performed to help patients to lose weight by reducing the size of the stomach. The surgery is performed to help patients with weight-loss after non-surgical methods such as change of diet and regular exercise, have failed to produce results.
Flying after surgery can increase the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and patients will need to be cleared by the surgeon before flying.
- Learn more about Gastric Bypass Surgery
Aortic Stenosis Treatment+ More
Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Closure+ More
Bentall Procedure+ More
>Colorectal Medicine(9 procedures)
Anal Abscess Drainage+ More
Anal Fissure Treatment+ More
Anal Fistula Surgery+ More
The All-on-4 dental implant treatment was designed by Nobel Biocare, and is used to replace an entire upper or lower set of teeth. The procedure creates a permanent prosthesis by using four dental implants that act as an anchor for a bridge or overdenture of 12-to-14 teeth.
The dentist performs or examines diagnostic tests (such as panoramic X-rays and a CT scan) to assess the patient's jaw bone density. These scans are then often followed up by computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (known as CAD/CAM) processes that plan the All-on-4 procedure and allow the dentist to precisely insert the dental implants into the jaw.
- Learn more about All-on-4
Bone Graft+ More
A bone graft or bone augmentation may be required for patients who have a soft or thin jaw bone and are having dental implants.
3 - 5 days
Patients may need to stay longer if they are having a bone graft from the hip bone. A longer stay may also be required for cases where the sinus is affected.
- Learn more about Bone Graft
Braces are used to straighten and align teeth. They can help to correct many orthodontic problems, and prevent problems further down the line. The brace works by applying continuous but gentle pressure to the teeth, which causes the teeth to slowly move. In order for the teeth to move into the desired direction, the braces need to be adjusted regularly by the orthodontist.
1 - 4 days
This time is required per trip. Patients need several trips to get the braces adjusted, unless an orthodontist at home can offer follow-up care.
- Learn more about Braces
>Dentistry Packages(3 procedures)
Crowns and Hotel Package+ More
Dentistry Package+ More
Veneers and Hotel Package+ More
Acne Scar Treatment+ More
Acne scar treatment aims to eliminate or reduce the scars caused by acne. There are a number of available acne scar treatments including chemical peel, dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, and laser/light therapy.
- Learn more about Acne Scar Treatment
Acne Treatment+ More
Acne is caused by the oil glands in the skin becoming blocked by sebum, skin cells and hair. Most people will suffer with a degree of acne in their lives, but for some it can be severe and can cause low self-esteem. For patients with very severe or persistent acne, treatment can help alleviate symptoms and reduce scarring.
- Learn more about Acne Treatment
Dermabrasion is a skin treatment which uses friction to remove the upper layers of skin. Once the top layers of the skin are removed, it stimulates the growth of new skin to replace the damaged skin once the wound heals, which is smoother skin.
1 - 2 days
- Learn more about Dermabrasion
>Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT)(11 procedures)
Cochlear Implant+ More
A cochlear implant is an electronic device that is surgically implanted into the ear, in order to produce a sense of sound for patients who are deaf or have severe hearing problems.
3 - 6 weeks
Patients should get the surgeon's approval before flying, and inform their airline that they have a cochlear implant, as it will set off security alarms. If the implant is switched on, the volume may need adjusting during the flight.
- Learn more about Cochlear Implant
>General Medicine(9 procedures)
Abdominal Examination+ More
Female Health Checkup+ More
General Medicine Consultation+ More
Antenatal Care (ANC)+ More
Bartholin's Cyst Treatment+ More
This procedure treats a Bartholin's cyst through incision and drainage. A Bartholin's cyst is a small fluid filled sac just inside the vagina. The cyst forms on the Bartholin's gland which is a gland that produces fluid that lubriates the vagina, when the glands become blocked. The cyst ranges in size and generally varies between the size of a pea, to the size of marble. If the Bartholin's cyst becomes infected, it is usually referred to as a Bartholin's abscess and generally requires drainage.
2 - 3 days
It is usually safe to fly afterwards, but depending on the type of procedure, there may be a follow up visit required - e.g. to remove a drainage catheter.
- Learn more about Bartholin's Cyst Treatment
Cervical Cautery+ More
>Laboratory Medicine(7 procedures)
Blood Test Package+ More
Blood Tests+ More
Genetic Testing+ More
Alzheimer's Disease Consultation+ More
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Consultation+ More
Cerebral Palsy Management+ More
Brain Aneurysm Repair+ More
Brain aneurysm repair is a surgical procedure performed to repair a brain aneurysm that has the potential to rupture, or has already ruptured.
Time spent abroad depends on the type of brain aneurysm being treated. Unruptured aneurysms tend to have a quicker recovery process than ruptured aneurysms.
- Learn more about Brain Aneurysm Repair
Brain Tumor Surgery+ More
Brain tumor surgery is performed by a neurosurgeon to remove all or part of a tumor from the brain.
6 - 8 weeks
This depends on the surgery performed, whether the patient needs rehabilitation, and on how well the patient recovers.
- Learn more about Brain Tumor Surgery
Chiari Malformation Treatment+ More
Acute Leukemia Treatment+ More
Leukemia is a type of cancer that affects the blood cells in the body. It usually begins in the bone marrow where an abnormality occurs in the white blood cells. Normal blood cells form, divide, and die to make room for new cells. Leukemia disrupts this process and prevents the blood cells from functioning properly.
The length of stay abroad will depend on the treatment plan and the patient's response to treatment.
- Learn more about Acute Leukemia Treatment
Benign Soft Tissue Tumor Treatment+ More
Bile Duct Cancer Treatment+ More
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Treatment+ More
Wet macular degeneration is a chronic eye disease that causes vision loss in the center of the field of vision. Treatment aims to correct this before permanent damage to the patient's vision occurs.
2 - 3 days
Cataract Surgery+ More
Cataracts are cloudy patches in the lens of the eye that are common as a result of aging. Cataract removal surgery is recommended for patients who experience impairment to vision and are sensitive to light as a result of the cataract. The surgery involves the removal of the natural lens and it is most commonly replaced with a synthetic lens.
2 - 3 days
Patients can usually fly soon after cataract surgery, but should take precautions to avoid dryness in the eye.
- Learn more about Cataract Surgery
Detached Retina Treatment+ More
Retina detachment occurs when the retina becomes separated from its surrounding tissue. When this occurs, it is important that it is repaired, as the retina cannot function correctly in this condition, and leaving it untreated can result in the permanent loss of vision.
The length of stay depends on the treatment, however any treatment involving gas bubbles in the eye will prevent patients from being suitable for flying until the bubble has gone.
- Learn more about Detached Retina Treatment
Ankle Arthroscopy+ More
Ankle Fracture Treatment+ More
Avascular Necrosis (AVN) Treatment+ More
>Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation(11 procedures)
Chiropractic Treatment+ More
Decompression Therapy+ More
>Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery(29 procedures)
Arm Lift+ More
An arm lift, also referred to as a brachioplasty, is a surgical procedure to firm and reshape the upper arms. The surgeon may use liposuction to remove excess fat and skin and reposition the remaining skin to tighten it.
The patient might have to stay until the sutures can be removed, and should ask the surgeon. It should be possible to fly home within 7 to 10 days.
- Learn more about Arm Lift
Body Lift+ More
A body lift is a combination of surgical procedures designed to improve the overall appearance of the patient's body, by removing excess skin and tightening the remaining skin. A body lift also involves the removal of underlying excess fat and can treat cellulite.
The procedure is most commonly performed on patients who have undergone bariatric surgery to lose weight, or who have lost significant amounts of weight through diet and exercise, and are left with excess skin around the body.
1 - 2 weeks
Patients must check with their surgeon that they are fit enough to fly home, as well as taking necessary precautions against deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
- Learn more about Body Lift
Breast Augmentation+ More
Breast augmentation is a surgical procedure to change the size and shape of the breasts. While many patients opt to have breast implants inserted to increase breast size, breast augmentation more commonly refers to the enlargement of the breasts using fat transfer.
- Learn more about Breast Augmentation
>Reproductive Medicine(19 procedures)
Artificial Insemination+ More
Artificial insemination is the direct insertion of sperm into a woman's uterus, cervix, or fallopian tubes with the aim of achieving pregnancy. By directly inserting the sperm, it makes easier for the sperm to travel and fertilize the egg.
5 - 7 days
- Learn more about Artificial Insemination
Assisted Hatching+ More
Blastocyst Transfer+ More
>Spinal Surgery(29 procedures)
Artificial Disc Replacement+ More
Cervical Disc Disease Treatment+ More
Cervical Spondylosis Treatment+ More
Bladder Neck Incision (BNI)+ More
Bladder Stone Removal+ More
Circumcision is a surgical procedure to remove the foreskin which covers the glans penis (the tip of the penis). The procedure can be done by cutting around the foreskin with a scalpel, under either a local or general anesthetic. In young patients, there is also the option to use a compression ring, which is applied and causes the foreskin to fall off after several weeks.
Although patients can usually fly straight away, it may be uncomfortable sitting for a long flight.
- Learn more about Circumcision
>Vascular Medicine(13 procedures)
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair+ More
Angiography, which may also be referred to as arteriography or angiogram, is a procedure performed to examine the inside of blood vessels, arteries, and veins through the use of images X-ray images.
1 - 2 days
- Learn more about Angiography
Allergology Consultation+ More
Allergy Testing+ More
>Infectious Diseases(2 procedures)
Hepatitis Consultation+ More
HIV Consultation+ More
Rheumatoid Arthritis Consultation+ More
Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment+ More
Rheumatoid arthritis treatment aims to alleviate symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis through medication, therapy, or surgery. Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic disorder that is characterized by pain, swelling, and stiffness in the joints in the body. It mainly affects the joints in the hands and feet, but can also occur in other parts of the body. Areas of the body may become deformed as a result of the condition, and this is commonly seen in the hands and feet.
The amount of time spent abroad depends on the type of treatment the patient undergoes.
- Learn more about Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment
Anesthesia is administered to patients to numb a specific area or to make a patient unconscious while performing a procedure. The main types of anesthesia are local, regional, and general anesthetic. They are sometimes given in combination with one another, as well as in combination with oral or intravenous (IV) sedation.
1 - 2 days
Patients can travel immediately after local anesthetic. After a general anesthetic, patients can travel as soon as the effects have worn off and their condition is stable.
- Learn more about Anesthesia
More about available treatments at BLK Super Specialty Hospital
BLK Super Specialty Hospital is equipped with modern technologies for oncology treatment, such as the CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery System and the TriologyTx linear accelerator with cone beam CT for radiation oncology. Diagnostic technologies used at BLK Super Specialty Hospital include MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scanners, CT (computed tomography) scanners, mammography, ultrasound, X-ray imaging, and bone mineral density technology.
The hospital features a catheterization laboratory, blood bank, laboratories, endoscopy suites, and a bronchoscopy suite.
The team at BLK Super Specialty Hospital is comprised of 150 doctors who are specialized in their respective fields of medicine. The doctors are supported by a highly experienced paramedical and nursing team. Many of the team have studied and worked abroad and belong to a number of national and international medical boards and societies.
Prof. Dr. K. N. Srivastava
- Head of the general surgery and minimally invasive surgery department
- Completed training in laparoscopic surgery and urology at Tulane University, New Orleans, USA
- Completed advanced training in gastrointestinal surgery and laparoscopic surgery of upper G.I. tract with Prof. Jeffrey H. Peters, at the University of South California, Los Angeles, USA
- Former consultant surgeon to the Prime Minister of India
- Special interest in laparoscopic surgery for hernia (all types) and gall bladder, anorectal disorders, and advanced laparoscopic and bariatric surgery
- Member of the Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Society of Asia, the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons, the Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India, the Association of Surgeons of India, the Asia Pacific Hernia Society, the Indian Hernia Society, and the Obesity Surgery Society of India
Dr. Ajay Kaul
- Head of the cardiology department at BLK Super Specialty Hospital
- Has performed over 15,000 cardiac surgeries, over 4,000 minimally invasive cardiac surgeries, and over 2,000 complex congenital surgeries with excellent results
- Author of over 70 publications in national and international medical journals
- Lecturer of cardiothoracic surgery at Bombay University, India
Dr. Dharma Choudhary
- Specializes in internal medicine
- Particular expertise in bone marrow transplant
- Member of the Indian Society of Hematology and Transfusion Medicine
Dr. WVBS Ramalingam
- Specializes in ENT (ear, nose, and throat)
- Completed a fellowship at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, USA
- Completed a fellowship in CO2 laser surgery at the University of Gottingen, Germany
- Completed a fellowship in phoniatrics at the University of Freiburg, Germany
- Completed a fellowship in skull base surgery at the University Hospital of Pittsburg, USA
- Completed a fellowship in head and neck surgery at the Netherlands Cancer Institute, Amsterdam
- Member of the Association of Otolaryngologists of India, the Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology, and the Association of Phonosurgeons of India
Dr. Dinesh Kansal
- Head of the obstetrics and gynecology department
- Completed training in laparoscopic robotic surgery at Harvard Medical, Boston, USA
- Has performed more than 11,000 successful minimally invasive surgeries
- Awarded the Best Doctor Award by Delhi Medical Association
- Member of the Indian Association of Endoscopy Gynecologists of India, the Association of Gynecologists and Obstetricians of Delhi, the National Association for Reproductive and Child Health of India, the Society for Excellence in Gynecology & Obstetrics, the Indian Medical Association, the Delhi Medical Association, the Society of Fetal medicine, and the Fertility Preservation Society (India)
Dr. Atul Prasad
- Head of the neurology department
- Author of various medical publications in national and international journals
Dr. Vikas Gupta
- Head of the neurosurgery department
- Member of the Neurological Society of India, the Skull Base Society of India, the Spinal Surgeons Association of India, the Delhi Neurological Association, the Association of Surgeons of India, the Indian Medical Association, the Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine, the Indian Society of cerebrovascular Surgery, and the Indian Society of Neuro-anesthesiology and Critical Care
Dr. Rakesh Hahajan
- Specializes in orthopedics
- Completed a fellowship in arthroplasty at Singapore General Hospital in 2002
- Member of the Indian Orthopedics Association
Dr. Sunil Prakash
- Specializes in nephrology and renal transplantation
- Member of the International Society of Nephrology, the European Society of Dialysis and Transplantation, the Asian Society of Transplantation, the Association of Physicians of India, the Indian Society of Nephrology, the Peritoneal Dialysis Society of India, the Indian Society of Organ transplantation, the Indian Society of Hemodialysis, the Indian Academy of Clinical Medicine, and the Delhi Society of Nephrology
Dr. Lokesh Kumar
- Head of the plastic and cosmetic surgery department
- Completed a fellowship in plastic surgery at the International College of Surgeons Chicago, USA
- Member of the British Association of Plastic Surgeons, the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, the Association of Surgeons of India, the Rhinology Society of India, the Indian Medical Association, the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and the International College of Surgeons