CODET Vision Institute
Since 1986, CODET Vision Institute has been a leader in ophthalmology and vision correction. Located in Tijuana, Mexico, the clinic has performed over 80,000 ophthalmology procedures.
Due to its cutting-edge techniques and technologies, CODET Vision Institute has gained worldwide recognition for its contributions to the field of ophthalmology. It is a full-service clinic that offers treatments in every ophthalmology sub-specialty.
The clinic is experienced in treating international patients and offers a range of convenient services including airport and hotel pick-up and drop-off, pick-up service from the US-Mexico border, as well as free WiFi.
CODET Vision Institute is located in Tijuana, 7 km from Tijuana International Airport. The clinic can be easily reached from San Diego as it is located just 2 km from the US-Mexican border, and it offers a complimentary shuttle service to San Diego International Airport. Thousands of American and international guests have visited CODET Vision Institute after first arriving in San Diego.
Tijuana offers many cultural attractions including the Tijuana Cultural Center, which is home to various history and art exhibitions and is located 1 km from the clinic. The Tijuana Country Club can be reached within 4 km of the clinic and features an 18-hole golf course, spa and wellness center, tennis courts, and a swimming pool.
12 procedures across 2 specialties
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Treatment+ More
Wet macular degeneration is a chronic eye disease that causes vision loss in the center of the field of vision. Treatment aims to correct this before permanent damage to the patient's vision occurs.
2 - 3 days
Cataract Surgery+ More
Cataracts are cloudy patches in the lens of the eye that are common as a result of aging. Cataract removal surgery is recommended for patients who experience impairment to vision and are sensitive to light as a result of the cataract. The surgery involves the removal of the natural lens and it is most commonly replaced with a synthetic lens.
2 - 3 days
Patients can usually fly soon after cataract surgery, but should take precautions to avoid dryness in the eye.
- Learn more about Cataract Surgery
Detached Retina Treatment+ More
Retina detachment occurs when the retina becomes separated from its surrounding tissue. When this occurs, it is important that it is repaired, as the retina cannot function correctly in this condition, and leaving it untreated can result in the permanent loss of vision.
The length of stay depends on the treatment, however any treatment involving gas bubbles in the eye will prevent patients from being suitable for flying until the bubble has gone.
- Learn more about Detached Retina Treatment
>Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery(1 procedure)
Eyelid Surgery+ More
Eyelid surgery, also referred to as blepharoplasty or an eye lift, is a surgery performed to remove bagginess and puffiness from lower eyelids, and droopiness from upper eyelids. It is commonly performed as a cosmetic procedure, but may also be necessary for patients who have obstructed vision due to drooping upper lids. The doctor will usually make a small incision in the upper eyelid or beneath the lower eyelid, in order to remove excess skin and/or fat from the area.
5 - 7 days
Patients may need a follow up appointment to check progress or get stitches removed.
- Learn more about Eyelid Surgery
More about available treatments at CODET Vision Institute
The 3 most popular procedures performed at CODET Vision Institute are LASIK laser eye surgery, cataract surgery, and PRK laser eye surgery.
Other procedures performed include, eyelid surgery, pterygium surgery, IOL implantation, vitrectomy, corneal crosslinking, cornea transplant, wet macular degeneration (AMD) treatment, and glaucoma treatment.
There are 5 treatment rooms at the clinic which are equipped with modern technologies, such as the Alcon Allegretto Wave® Eye-Q Excimer Laser, Nidek EC-5000 Laser, IntraLase™ FS Laser System and optical coherence tomography units (OCT).
The clinic was the first clinic in the world to use a number of techniques including the all-Laser LASIK (bladeless laser) in 1995, the Bitoric LASIK technique in 1997, and the first Light Adjustable Lens in 2002.
The medical staff at CODET Vision Institute consists of highly trained and specialized ophthalmologists, many of whom have received international training and education.
Dr. Arturo Chayet, who is renowned for his contributions within the field of ophthalmology, leads the team at CODET Vision Institute. Many of the doctors are members of both national and international medical societies and associations such as the Mexican Society of Ophthalmology and the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Languages spoken at the clinic include English and Spanish.
Dr. Arturo Chayet
- Founder and medical director at CODET Vision Institute
- Medical School: MD, National Autonomous University of Mexico
- Completed a fellowship in cornea and refractive surgery at the University of California, San Diego in 1987
- Specializes in LASIK laser eye surgery, cornea surgery, cataract surgery, Refractive surgery and IOL (intraocular lens) implantation
- Has performed more than 40,000 LASIK laser eye surgeries and 10,000 cataract surgeries
- Author of various articles published in scientific journals
- Awarded the Lans Lecture Award by the International Society of Refractive Surgery in 2000
- Currently working on the development of the Calhoun Vision Light Adjustable Lens (LAL) with Dr. Dan Schwartz and Nobel Prize winner Dr. Robert Grubs
Dr. Ana Luz Rábago
- Graduated from the Autonomous University of Baja California
- Completed postgraduate studies in General Ophthalmology at Dr. Angel Leano University Hospital in Guadalajara, Jalisco
- Gained international experience working at the Shiley Eye Center Hospital (UCSD Hospital) in San Diego, California
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the Mexican Society of Ophthalmology, the Mexican Board of Ophthalmology, Baja California’s Ophthalmologic College, and the Mexican Society of Oculoplastic Surgery and Eye Socket
Dr. Marisa Flores Aguilar
- Retina Specialist
- Graduated with a degree in General Medicine from the Autonomous University of Baja California in 1984
- Scientific supervisor for the Journal of the American Academy of Ophthalmology since 1993
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the American Society of Retina Specialists, the Mexican Society of Ophthalmology, and the Retina Occident Association
Dr. Gina Garduño
- Graduated from the Autonomous University of Baja California in 1985
- Volunteer doctor responsible for the Pediatric Ophthalmology Service at California’s Children Hospital in Tijuana
- Medical Director of the CODET Foundation for the Prevention of Blindness I.B.P
- Member of the Mexican Board of Ophthalmology, the Mexican Society of Ophthalmology, the Mexican Society of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus of Occident, Tijuana’s Medical College, and the American Academy of Ophthalmology
Dr. Marina Ramirez
- Chief of glaucoma treatment at the CODET Vision Institute
- Graduated with a degree in General Medicine from the Autonomous University of Baja California in 1989
- Member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, the Mexican Society of Ophthalmology, the Mexican Association of Glaucoma, Baja California’s Ophthalmologic College, and the Occident Association of Glaucoma
Dr. Rene Cervantes
- Specializes in the management of ocular inflammatory disease, Uveitis and vitreo-retinal pathology
- Graduated from the Autonomous University of San Luis Potosí in 1999
- Gained international experience training at Hadassah Medical Center, part of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, between 2004 and 2006
- Awarded a grant from Harvard University to complete an ocular immunology and uveitis fellowship at the Massachusetts Eye Research and Surgery Institution, between 2006 and 2007
External Reviews from Google
Fabiola I. Pineda-Nguyen, November 2019
Best doctors, staff and eye surgery ever. My husband and nephew did the surgery yesterday and today we come back for the check up. Now, both have 20/20 vision and they are very happy. It was an awesome experience and excellent care. We are coming back in three months for last check-up and with another family member to get his surgery. I cannot express how happy we are with the results and with the whole experience. Thank you to all the staff and doctors from CODET Institute and we will see you soon.
Simone Ventures, October 2019
The BEST of the Best! Dr Male and the CODET staff were nothing but professional and caring. Experts in their field I highly recommend them. I was so happy with the service they provided and can not say enough about how great they were! Thank you CODET -- Stella Rogers.
Sasha Woods, October 2019
I wish I could give zero stars. I booked my surgery 2 month ahead of time and got multiple confirmations from them that I was good to go, they even confirmed all my appointment the day of my flight. Then few minutes before getting on my airplane, they sent me a message saying that they forgot that all doctors will be gone and nobody will be able to do my surgery. This was beyond unprofessional. They knew ahead of time their doctors would be gone at a conference as they said, not 5 minutes before. I lost money for flights and hotel reservation I paid for ahead of time.
I am writing an update to my story on October 18 2019: I changed my review from one star to three stars. Even though I never got my surgery, Codet CEO, Daniel, reimbursed my airfare and hotel losses by sending me a check. They at least made it right. I appreciate them caring.
Irving Romo, October 2019
Affordable price for a high quality experience. I always visit dentist and doctors in Mexico, and Codet Institute is one of those places where you feel safe and the doctors know what's best for you. The staff is very nice, only top doctors work here.
Omar Cuadra, September 2019
I know considering eye surgery is an important decision, and with so many options is hard to choose the one that best suits you. Thankfully, CODET made the decision extremely easy for me, from the moment I stepped into the building, I felt the genuine care from all of the personnel. They answered all of my questions and kept reminding me of all the care I needed to take before and after my corrective eye surgery. And who better than Dr Chayet, the main guy, to perform my surgery. Extremely satisfied with the results, do not hesitate to visit and choose them...satisfaction guaranteed.