NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai is a multi-specialty hospital that was established in 2004 as part of the NMC Healthcare group, the largest healthcare provider in the UAE. The NMC Healthcare group has 20 healthcare facilities in the UAE and is experienced in treating international patients, with over 3 million patients from over 25 different countries treated by the group each year.
NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai is accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI) in the USA and is partnered with a number of international hospital's including the University Medical Center Freiburg, Germany, The London Clinic, UK, and the University Hospital of Zürich, Switzerland.
As a multi-specialist hospital, NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai has more than 25 departments including cardiology, gastroenterology, neurology, general surgery, internal medicine, orthopedics, radiology, urology, and nephrology. The hospital is fitted with 79 patient rooms, 9 intensive care (ICU) beds, 6 nursery beds, and 5 operating theaters.
With experience in treating international patients, the hospital provides a variety of useful services including consultations via Skype, visa assistance, interpreter services, assistance with hotel booking, and both hotel and airport pick-up and drop-off.
Furthermore, the hospital is partnered with and accepts a range of international health insurances including Bupa International, Cigna, AXA Insurance, International SOS, and Allianz Worldwide Care amongst others.
NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai is located 8 km away from Dubai International Airport, which is accessible via public transport or taxi.
The city of Dubai is famous for its shopping and entertainment opportunities, as well as its modern architecture. The BurJuman shopping mall, one of the oldest shopping malls in Dubai, which hosts both luxury boutiques and a food court, is located 10 km from the hospital.
The Grand Mosque, one of Dubai’s most popular tourist attractions, can be reached within 12 km of the hospital and the Al Mamzer Beach is located just 5 km away from NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai.
Joint Commission International
Arabic, English, French, German, Russian
215 procedures across 26 specialties
A cholecystectomy is a surgical procedure that is performed to remove the gallbladder. The gallbladder is an organ located below the liver, which serves the function of collecting and storing bile, which is the fluid produced by the liver, before breaking it down and releasing it into the small intestine.
1 - 2 weeks
Some patients will have dissolvable stitches, whereas others return after 7 days to have them removed. Patients who have open surgery will need a longer recovery time.
- Learn more about Cholecystectomy
A colonoscopy is an examination of the large intestine, the colon and rectum, using a small camera.
3 - 4 days
Patients should arrive at least 2 days before the colonoscopy, as the bowel needs to be cleared the day before the procedure. Patients who have interventional treatment during the colonoscopy, e.g. removal of a polyp, may need slightly longer to recover.
- Learn more about Colonoscopy
See 1 type of Colonoscopy procedures:
>General Surgery(8 procedures)
An appendectomy is a surgical procedure performed to remove the appendix. The appendix is located where the small and large intestine meet and its function is not known. The appendix is usually removed as an emergency procedure when the patient has appendicitis, which is the inflammation of the appendix.
- Learn more about Appendectomy
Diagnostic Laparoscopy+ More
Hernia Repair+ More
Hernia repair is a surgical procedure performed to repair a hernia, which occurs when tissues or organs protrude through the wall in which they are contained. There are different types of hernias that can occur and these include inguinal hernia, hiatal hernia, and umbilical hernia.
1 - 2 weeks
After abdominal surgery, patients should get approval from their surgeon before flying. Traveling too soon after abdominal surgery could result in tearing the sutures. Patients may also find it uncomfortable to carry luggage or sit for long periods.
- Learn more about Hernia Repair
See 1 type of Hernia Repair procedures:
Inguinal Hernia Surgery
>Bariatric Surgery(5 procedures)
Gastric Balloon Treatment+ More
Gastric ballon treatment involves inserting a deflated ballon into the stomach and then inflating it, in order to help lose weight. The balloon serves the purpose of limiting food intake by taking up space in the stomach and thus creating a sense of fullness after eating small amounts of food.
1 - 5 days
Patients may experience some pain, nausea or discomfort in the first days after insertion, therefore may need to rest before traveling.
- Learn more about Gastric Balloon Treatment
Gastric Band Surgery+ More
Gastric band surgery is a weight-loss surgery which uses an inflatable silicone band to create a small gastric pouch in the stomach, slowing down food consumption and limiting food intake. The surgery is performed to help patients with weight-loss after non-surgical methods such as change of diet and regular exercise, have failed to produce results.
The doctor should ensure that the patients condition is stable enough to travel.
- Learn more about Gastric Band Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery+ More
Gastric bypass surgery is performed to help patients to lose weight by reducing the size of the stomach. The surgery is performed to help patients with weight-loss after non-surgical methods such as change of diet and regular exercise, have failed to produce results.
Flying after surgery can increase the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and patients will need to be cleared by the surgeon before flying.
- Learn more about Gastric Bypass Surgery
Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Closure+ More
Cardiology Consultation+ More
Coronary Angiogram+ More
>Colorectal Medicine(9 procedures)
Anal Abscess Drainage+ More
Anal Fissure Treatment+ More
Anal Fistula Surgery+ More
The All-on-4 dental implant treatment was designed by Nobel Biocare, and is used to replace an entire upper or lower set of teeth. The procedure creates a permanent prosthesis by using four dental implants that act as an anchor for a bridge or overdenture of 12-to-14 teeth.
The dentist performs or examines diagnostic tests (such as panoramic X-rays and a CT scan) to assess the patient's jaw bone density. These scans are then often followed up by computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing (known as CAD/CAM) processes that plan the All-on-4 procedure and allow the dentist to precisely insert the dental implants into the jaw.
- Learn more about All-on-4
Bone Graft+ More
A bone graft or bone augmentation may be required for patients who have a soft or thin jaw bone and are having dental implants.
3 - 5 days
Patients may need to stay longer if they are having a bone graft from the hip bone. A longer stay may also be required for cases where the sinus is affected.
- Learn more about Bone Graft
Braces are used to straighten and align teeth. They can help to correct many orthodontic problems, and prevent problems further down the line. The brace works by applying continuous but gentle pressure to the teeth, which causes the teeth to slowly move. In order for the teeth to move into the desired direction, the braces need to be adjusted regularly by the orthodontist.
1 - 4 days
This time is required per trip. Patients need several trips to get the braces adjusted, unless an orthodontist at home can offer follow-up care.
- Learn more about Braces
Acne Scar Treatment+ More
Acne scar treatment aims to eliminate or reduce the scars caused by acne. There are a number of available acne scar treatments including chemical peel, dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, and laser/light therapy.
- Learn more about Acne Scar Treatment
Acne Treatment+ More
Acne is caused by the oil glands in the skin becoming blocked by sebum, skin cells and hair. Most people will suffer with a degree of acne in their lives, but for some it can be severe and can cause low self-esteem. For patients with very severe or persistent acne, treatment can help alleviate symptoms and reduce scarring.
- Learn more about Acne Treatment
Dermabrasion is a skin treatment which uses friction to remove the upper layers of skin. Once the top layers of the skin are removed, it stimulates the growth of new skin to replace the damaged skin once the wound heals, which is smoother skin.
1 - 2 days
- Learn more about Dermabrasion
>Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT)(9 procedures)
Myringoplasty, also referred to as tympanoplasty, is a surgical procedure to repair a perforated eardrum (the tympanic membrane) usually caused by infection or trauma.
The surgeon should ensure that eardrum has healed before the patient can fly, as changes in air pressure will affect the eardrum.
- Learn more about Myringoplasty
>General Medicine(7 procedures)
Abdominal Examination+ More
Female Health Checkup+ More
General Medicine Consultation+ More
Bartholin's Cyst Treatment+ More
This procedure treats a Bartholin's cyst through incision and drainage. A Bartholin's cyst is a small fluid filled sac just inside the vagina. The cyst forms on the Bartholin's gland which is a gland that produces fluid that lubriates the vagina, when the glands become blocked. The cyst ranges in size and generally varies between the size of a pea, to the size of marble. If the Bartholin's cyst becomes infected, it is usually referred to as a Bartholin's abscess and generally requires drainage.
2 - 3 days
It is usually safe to fly afterwards, but depending on the type of procedure, there may be a follow up visit required - e.g. to remove a drainage catheter.
- Learn more about Bartholin's Cyst Treatment
Cervical Cautery+ More
Cesarean Section+ More
A cesarean section, or c-section, is a surgical procedure in which the delivery of a baby is performed through an incision in the mother's uterus and abdomen.
- Learn more about Cesarean Section
>Laboratory Medicine(7 procedures)
Blood Test Package+ More
Blood Tests+ More
Genetic Testing+ More
Dementia Management+ More
Epilepsy Treatment+ More
Epilepsy treatment aims to treat and manage epilepsy, a neurological disorder that can cause seizures that can lead to loss of consciousness or strange behavior. Epilepsy occurs when there is an abnormality in the brain, whereby nerve cell activity increases and disrupts neuron activity.
The time spent abroad depends on the type of epilepsy treatment that the patient receives.
- Learn more about Epilepsy Treatment
Migraine Treatment+ More
Cancer Screening+ More
Chemotherapy is the use of medicine or drugs that contain chemical substances to treat cancer. It can be used in combination with other cancer treatments such as radiotherapy or surgery. Chemotherapy works by destroying cancerous cells that quickly develop or multiply.
The amount of time abroad will depend on how many chemotherapy cycles are required.
- Learn more about Chemotherapy
Oncology Consultation+ More
Once a patient has been diagnosed with cancer, the first step in getting treatment is to make an oncology consultation, to discuss the treatment options with a specialist.
The patient may choose to return home after the consultation and return to the clinic once the treatment is scheduled to begin.
- Learn more about Oncology Consultation
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD) Treatment+ More
Wet macular degeneration is a chronic eye disease that causes vision loss in the center of the field of vision. Treatment aims to correct this before permanent damage to the patient's vision occurs.
2 - 3 days
Cataract Surgery+ More
Cataracts are cloudy patches in the lens of the eye that are common as a result of aging. Cataract removal surgery is recommended for patients who experience impairment to vision and are sensitive to light as a result of the cataract. The surgery involves the removal of the natural lens and it is most commonly replaced with a synthetic lens.
2 - 3 days
Patients can usually fly soon after cataract surgery, but should take precautions to avoid dryness in the eye.
- Learn more about Cataract Surgery
Glaucoma Treatment+ More
Glaucoma treatment aims to relieve symptoms of glaucoma and prevent further damage, deterioration, and loss of vision. Glaucoma is an eye disease that causes damage to the optic nerve, which creates problems with vision and if left untreated, can lead to loss of vision.
2 - 7 days
- Learn more about Glaucoma Treatment
Ankle Arthroscopy+ More
Bunion Surgery+ More
Bunion surgery is a surgical procedure performed to re-align a deformed joint which has formed in the foot. A bunion is a deformity of the big toe which causes the bone and tissue located around the joint to become misaligned and to stick out.
- Learn more about Bunion Surgery
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery+ More
Carpal tunnel surgery, which may also be referred to as carpal tunnel release, is a procedure performed to relieve pain and symptoms caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition which causes numbness and tingling in the hands or arms. The condition occurs when the nerve in the hand becomes compressed.
Patients may require a follow-up appointment to get stitches removed. If patients need to fly sooner, this should be discussed with the surgeon.
- Learn more about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery
>Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation(9 procedures)
Chiropractic Treatment+ More
Decompression Therapy+ More
>Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery(5 procedures)
Breast Implants+ More
In breast implant surgery, an implant is inserted in order to change the size and shape of the breast. The surgery is commonly performed for women who wish to have larger, more shapely breasts, women with underdeveloped breasts, or women who have had breast tissue removed (a mastectomy). Breast implants can also be used to correct breast asymmetry, or as part of male-to-female gender reassignment.
- Learn more about Breast Implants
Breast Reconstruction+ More
Breast reconstruction is a procedure to rebuild a breast which has been completely or partly removed. The most common reason for undergoing breast reconstruction surgery is for patients who have had breast cancer surgery (mastectomy or lumpectomy). In the US, breast cancer affects around 1 in 8 women.
The surgery is often performed at the same time as a mastectomy, however some patients may choose to wait a while before undergoing a breast reconstruction. Patients who are undergoing radiation therapy are advised to undergo breast reconstruction in stages, as they cannot undergo reconstruction whilst receiving radiation therapy, as this could damage the new breast.
There breast can be reconstructed either with breast implants or with flaps. Implants are made of silicon or saline and are an inserted under the chest muscle. Flaps are made up of tissue which is taken from another area of the body such as the buttocks or thighs, and are connected to the blood vessels on the chest. With a flap procedure, the shape and size of the breast will change in the first few months and once it has formed it's shape, nipple reconstruction may then be performed. Nipple reconstruction involves taking part of the nipple from the other breast and filling in the color by tattooing it to the nipple.
As there are a number of different surgical options for patients undergoing breast reconstruction, the time needed for the treatments vary considerably. As a guideline:
- Mastectomy with placement of a tissue expander - 1 to 2 weeks
- Mastectomy with latissimus dorsi flap - 2 to 3 weeks
- Mastectomy with pedicle TRAM flap - 6 to 8 weeks
- Mastectomy with abdominal free flap (free TRAM, DIEP or SIEA flap) - 4 to 6 weeks
- Mastectomy with GAP flap - 6 to 8 weeks
- Exchange tissue expander to implant - 1 week or less
- Exchange unilateral tissue expander and augment/reduce/lift opposite breast - 1 to 2 weeks
- Nipple areola reconstruction - 1 week or less
- Learn more about Breast Reconstruction
Liposuction is a surgical procedure to remove fat from beneath the skin. The procedure is performed with a narrow suction device. Some devices use ultrasound to help break down fat. Liposuction can be used to target a range of areas, including abdomen, hips, thighs, calves, arms, buttocks, back, neck, or face.
Liposuction can be a minor or major surgery depending on the area and amount of fat removed.
- Learn more about Liposuction
>Reproductive Medicine(7 procedures)
Fertility Assessment+ More
Hormone Tests+ More
>Spinal Surgery(20 procedures)
Artificial Disc Replacement+ More
Cervical Disc Disease Treatment+ More
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment+ More
Kidney Stones Treatment+ More
Kidney stones are deposits of salts and minerals, such as calcium, which form inside the kidney. They are quite common, often more in men than women, and there are many factors that can increase the risk of developing kidney stones.
5 - 7 days
The time needed will depend on the type of treatment.
- Learn more about Kidney Stones Treatment
Allergology Consultation+ More
Allergy Testing+ More
>Dentistry Packages(2 procedures)
Crowns and Hotel Package+ More
Veneers and Hotel Package+ More
>Vascular Medicine(2 procedures)
Angiography, which may also be referred to as arteriography or angiogram, is a procedure performed to examine the inside of blood vessels, arteries, and veins through the use of images X-ray images.
1 - 2 days
- Learn more about Angiography
Anesthesia is administered to patients to numb a specific area or to make a patient unconscious while performing a procedure. The main types of anesthesia are local, regional, and general anesthetic. They are sometimes given in combination with one another, as well as in combination with oral or intravenous (IV) sedation.
1 - 2 days
Patients can travel immediately after local anesthetic. After a general anesthetic, patients can travel as soon as the effects have worn off and their condition is stable.
- Learn more about Anesthesia
Pediatric Neurosurgery+ More
Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment+ More
Rheumatoid arthritis treatment aims to alleviate symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis through medication, therapy, or surgery. Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic disorder that is characterized by pain, swelling, and stiffness in the joints in the body. It mainly affects the joints in the hands and feet, but can also occur in other parts of the body. Areas of the body may become deformed as a result of the condition, and this is commonly seen in the hands and feet.
The amount of time spent abroad depends on the type of treatment the patient undergoes.
- Learn more about Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment
More about available treatments at NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai
NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai is renowned as a leader in cardiology, ENT (ear, nose, and throat), gastroenterology, physiotherapy, radiology, minimally invasive & laparascopic surgery, urology, orthopedics, surgical oncology, cosmetics, and many more.
The hospital uses state-of-the-art equipment such as a 1.5 tesla MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scanner, 64-Slice dual-source Siemens MDCT CT (computed tomography) scanner, 4D ultrasound with color doppler, bone densitometry, mammogram, and digital X-ray systems backed by a fully integrated PACS system.
The Back and Neck Pain Clinic at the hospital has a fully computerized Spine Distraction System, one of the latest advancements in the non-surgical management of spinal disc diseases.
The team at NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai is comprised of 93 highly trained doctors who are specialized in their respective fields.
Many of the team have made publications in scientific journals and are members of various national and international boards and associations, such as the Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
The team at NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai speaks a variety of languages and interpreter services are provided in English, Arabic, Russian, German, French, Luganda, and Kiswahili.
Dr. Sanjay Saraf
- Specializes in plastic, cosmetic, and reconstructive surgery
- Gained international experience at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Dr. Foad Nahai’s Paces Plastic Surgery Centre in Atlanta, and the Dr. Bernard L. Markowitz clinic in Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, USA
- Fellow of the European Board of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, the Royal College of Surgeons, the American College of Surgeons, and the International College of Surgeons
- Author of 2 book chapters and over 36 publications in peer reviewed journals
- Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the British Association of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons, the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the International Society of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons, and the Plastic Surgery Society-Emirates Medical Association
- Speaks English, Hindi, Urdu, and Arabic.
Dr. Girishchandra Varma
- Specializes in cardiothoracic surgery
- Graduated with a Master of Science (MS) in general surgery from Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, India
- Graduated with a Master of Surgery (MCh) in cardiovascular thoracic surgery from Bombay University, India
- Completed a fellowship in cardiovascular surgery at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, USA
- Graduated with a postgraduate diploma in cardiovascular surgery from the University Pierre & Marie Curie, Paris, France in 1999
- Particular expertise in beating heart (off-pump) coronary artery bypass graft surgery
- Has performed over 5,000 coronary artery bypass surgeries
- Member of the Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- Speaks English, Hindi, Tamil, and Malayalam
Dr. Sunder Rajan S. Santhanam
- Specializes in ENT (ear, nose and throat) surgery, with over 14 years of experience in the field
- Graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) and Master of Science (MS) in ENT, head and neck surgery from Jawaharlal Institute Of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), in Pondicherry, India
- Particular expertise in endoscopic sinus surgery, micro ear surgery, and pediatric ENT surgery
- Speaks English, Hindi, and Tamil
Dr. Drais Dawood Abdul Razaq Alaswad
- Specializes in general surgery, with over 25 years of experience in the field
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (Glasgow, UK), the European Board of Surgery, the Iraqi Committee of Medical Specialties (general surgery), and the American College of Surgeons
- Vice chairman of the European Board of Surgery
- Board member of the European Society of Surgery
- Examiner on the European Board of Surgery
- Author of various scientific publications in international journals
- Member of the Scientific Surgical Committee of American Society of Abdominal Surgery
- Speaks English and Arabic
Dr. Rakesh Sankar
- Head of the Department of Internal Medicine at NMC Specialty Hospital Dubai
- More than 20 years of experience in the field of internal medicine
- Graduated with a medical degree (MD) from Kerala University
- Special interest in diabetes, nephrology, and pulmonology
- Author of various international publications in scientific journals
- Speaks English, Malayalam, Hindi, and Tamil
Dr. Amit Nagpal
- Specializes in ophthalmology, with more than 15 years of experience in the field
- Fellow of the Medical Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
- Research fellow of the Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
- Special interest in complex vitreo-retina surgeries, ocular oncology, and cataract surgery
- Has performed more than 10,000 complex vitreo-retinal surgeries
- Speaks English, Hindi, Punjabi, and Tamil
Dr. Narendra Achuth Prabhu
- Specializes in orthopedics, with 19 years of experience in the field
- Completed a fellowship at Queens Medical Centre, Nottingham, UK
- Special interest in trauma, hip and knee replacement, knee arthroscopy (ACL reconstruction), and lumbar spinal surgeries
- Author of various international publications in scientific journals
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons, in Glasgow, UK and AO Trauma International
- Speaks English, Hindi, Konkani, Kannada, Tulu, Malayalam, and Nepali
Dr. Gaurav Jadon
- Specializes in pediatrics, with more than 15 years of experience in the field
- Graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) from the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak, India
- Presented with the Dr. James Flett Endowment Award Gold Medal for research at the 44th National Conference Of Indian Academy of Pediatrics in 2007
- Special interest in pediatric intensive care, vaccinations, peripheral venous and central line insertion, arterial line insertion, arterial and vein- puncture, lumbar puncture, pleural tap, ascetic tap, bone marrow aspiration, endotracheal intubation, laryngeal mask airway, and mechanical ventilation in infants and children
- Member of the National Academy of Medical Science in India
- Speaks English and Hindi
Dr. Manohar Mamani
- Specializes in urology, with 14 years of experience in the field
- Graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) and a Master of Science MS in general surgery from Jawaharlal Medical College, in Belgaum, India
- Graduated with a MCh in Urology from Manipal College of Medical Sciences, in Pokhara, India
- Special interest in prostate health and pediatric urology
- Particular expertise in urinary stones, urinary infection, prostate disease, sexual dysfunction in men, and pediatric urology
- Author of various international publications in scientific journals
- Speaks English, Hindi, and Kannada
There was wrong appointment for me. And I leave the hospital but workers was very good There was wrong appointment for me. And I leave the hospital but workers was very goodIshaqzai Afghanistan Orthopedics Consultation
Verified Review This review was provided by a patient that booked using the MEDIGO platform. It was submitted through our internal review system and is 100% genuine
20May 2017Ishaqzai , Afghanistan Orthopedics Consultation
The clinic was visited by a Medigo team member
It's very easy to find the clinic. Parking is a small issue because you can't always find close parking. Between 16:00 and 20:00 traffic in that area is very slow. There is a small cafe shop on the ground floor. Staff was nice and friendly.